fbpx

NY Times: Kyrillos has “a plausable path to upset” Mendenez

The New York Times FiveThirtyEight blog has shifted its rating of the New Jersey U.S. Senate race between likely GOP nominee, State Senator Joe Kyrillos and incumbent Senator Bob Menendez from Safe Democrat to Likely Democrat.

In New Jersey, Robert Menendez, a Democrat, has middling approval ratings and is below 50 percent in the polls against the most likely Republican nominee, State Senator Joseph Kyrillos. Mr. Kyrillos would need to catch some breaks to win the race — his fund-raising has lagged Mr. Menendez’s so far, and he might need Mr. Romney to be more competitive in New Jersey than Republican presidential candidates have been in recent years. Still, there is a plausible path to an upset, and so we now classify the race as Likely Democrat rather than Safe Democrat.

Posted: May 16th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: 2012 U.S. Senate Race, Bob Menendez, Joe Kyrillos | Tags: , | 5 Comments »

Cullari: Little Blew It Against Pallone

Senator Jennifer Beck and Assemblywoman Mary Pat Angelini Endorse Cullari in CD-6 Primary

In an interview with Politickernj, the Monmouth County GOP nominee in the primary for the 6th Congressional District, Ernesto Cullari, said that Anna Little,  the 2010 GOP nominee in the 6th district and his primary opponent this year, was focused on herself and not the task at hand, defeating Congressman Frank Pallone, during the 2010 general election,

“What I saw was a candidate unwilling to go after (incumbent U.S. Rep. Frank) Pallone – like the fact that he got his wife a job at the EPA where she works while most people suffer an economic downturn,” Cullari said. “Frank Pallone and a slew of other leaders have been looking out for just themselves. I’ll make that case. I’m not ashamed to make it. 

“What I witnessed in Anna was someone deeply focused on herself instead of the task at hand – namely advancing the small government ideology,” he added. “She missed that opportunity.”

Cullari went on to define himself as the true Tea Party conservative in the primary,

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: May 16th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: 2012 Congressional Races, Anna Little, Congress, Elections, Ernesto Cullari, Frank Pallone, Jennifer Beck, Mary Pat Angenlini, Middlesex County Republicans, Monmouth County Republican Committee, Monmouth GOP | Tags: , , , , , , | 17 Comments »

Menendez Continues to Poll in Very Dangerous, Corzine-like Territory

New Quinnipiac University poll shows him under the all-important 50 percent mark for incumbents
 
Middletown, May 16 A Quinnipiac University poll released today confirmed Menendez’s worst fear: he can’t poll above 50 percent. As an incumbent, that’s dangerous territory, that’s Jon Corzine territory.
 
“We’ll keep a close eye on this U.S. Senate race…Sen. Robert Menendez’s lead is far from solid… Menendez would feel a lot better if he could hit 50 percent on his approval rating…” said Maurice Carroll, director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute.
 
It doesn’t help that Menendez has been recently mired in scandal. A top-tier donor of his was convicted last week for illegally donating nearly $100,000 to his campaign- of which he returned only $18,000. Where is the other $80,000, Senator?
 
Menendez is also being asked to step aside from the Senate Banking Committee’s investigation of the MF Global collapse. This request was made following an investigatory hearing when Menendez tried to direct the focus of the investigation away from his past political ally- former New Jersey Governor MF Global CEO- Jon Corzine.
 
And, in an interview on MSNBC yesterday discussing the JP Morgan loss, Menendez proved again that he is trying to protect the people close to him- while expecting everyone else to play by the rules. Menendez said, “What I care about is not an individual, I care about a system. Having system controls to ensure that no matter who is at the head of a company, this can’t happen.”
 

It is clear Menendez doesn’t care about holding ‘individuals’ accountable. See no evil. Hear no evil. Time and again, he has proved unwilling to put his oversight role on the Senate Banking Committee above his self-serving double standard. The people of New Jersey can no longer afford to play second fiddle to Menendez’s political allies.

Posted: May 16th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: 2012 U.S. Senate Race, Bob Menendez, Joe Kyrillos, Jon Corzine, Press Release, Quinnipiac poll | Tags: , , , , | 2 Comments »

Christie and Booker Spoof at NJ Press Association’s Annual Dinner

Posted: May 16th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Chris Christie, Cory Booker, NJ Media | Tags: , , | Comments Off on Christie and Booker Spoof at NJ Press Association’s Annual Dinner

Little Still Not Registered With FEC As A Candidate For Congress

10 days since MMM reported that Anna Little was a candidate for U.S. Senate and had terminated her candidacy for Congress as far as the Federal Election Commission is concerned, the former Highlands Mayor has yet to file a Statement of Organization.

Little terminated her Anna C. Little for Congress committee on April 2, 10 days after she was awarded the Middlesex GOP endorsement for the 6th Congressional District primary.   She filed a Statement of Organziation for U.S. Senate on February 13.   There is no active record on Little being a candidate for the House of Representative with the FEC, as of this writing.

Ernesto Cullari, the Monmouth GOP nominee in the CD-6 primary, filed his Statement of Organization on March 26.

Little’s treasurer, Brett Rappaport has yet to respond to an inquiry from the May 6 story.  Little’s former treasurer, Jane Frotton, said she had nothing to do with the FEC reports, despite her signature.  She also said to stop picking on Anna.

Posted: May 15th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: 2012 Congressional Races, Anna Little, Ernesto Cullari | Tags: , , , , , , | 6 Comments »

Menendez’s Self-Serving Double Standard

Menendez calls for ‘system controls’ when JP Morgan makes a risky bet with its own money, but looks the other way when individuals and families lose their savings with MF Global

Middletown, May 15…When individuals and their families lost their savings with MF Global, Bob Menendez protected his ally Jon Corzine by steering the Senate Banking Committee’s investigation away from the CEO’s role in the collapse. Yet, when asked about JP Morgan’s loss resulting from a risky bet, Menendez called for ‘system controls.’  Menendez’s self-serving double standard of protecting his political allies- like Jon Corzine and the rest of the executive team- while calling for everyone else to play by the rules has got to stop.

“The collapse of MF Global and the risky bet placed by JP Morgan clearly demonstrate that regulators need to take a closer look at Wall Street practices and institute reforms to protect investors and the economy as a whole,” said Joe Kyrillos, who has been calling for Menendez to recuse himself from the banking committee’s investigation citing conflict of interest.

“People who took advantage of the lack of controls on Wall Street need to be held accountable. Menendez has again proved that he is not willing to put his personal ties aside to serve as an unbiased congressional investigator. The people of New Jersey deserve someone who is looking out for their best interests- not the best interests of past political cronies.”

Two Piscataway physicians, Drs. John and Alieta Eck, who provide charity medical care to the needy, had an investment account with MF Global that was completely wiped out as a result of the collapse. The Doctors Eck lost $200,000 and rightly demand answers from a thorough Senate investigation.

“The fact that Menendez failed to even mention the CEO Jon Corzine by name demonstrates that he is putting his personal relationship with the CEO ahead of the customers of MF global and the people of New Jersey. This requires a fair and comprehensive investigation, not a political whitewash,” said Dr. John Eck.

In an interview on MSNBC yesterday discussing the JP Morgan loss, Menendez said, “What I care about is not an individual, I care about a system. Having system controls to ensure that no matter who is at the head of a company, this can’t happen.”

It is clear Menendez doesn’t care about holding ‘individuals’ accountable. See no evil. Hear no evil. Time and again, he has proved unwilling to put his oversight role on the Senate Banking Committee above his self-serving double standard. The people of New Jersey can no longer afford to play second fiddle to Menendez’s political allies.

Posted: May 15th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: 2012 U.S. Senate Race, Bob Menendez, Joe Kyrillos, Jon Corzine, MF Global, Press Release | Tags: , , , , , | Comments Off on Menendez’s Self-Serving Double Standard

Operation Shoebox Recipient Delivers New Jersey Heroes Banner to First Lady Mary Pat Christie

New Jersey Marine Returns Banner with Photos of Military Members Stationed in Afghanistan

Trenton, NJ – A New Jersey Marine returning from Afghanistan today presented First Lady Mary Pat Christie with the New Jersey Heroes banner she and a group of volunteers originally signed and sent overseas as part of an Operation Shoebox care package in December 2011. Lance Corporal (LCpl) Zachary R. Sanders, of Somerville, returned the placard to Mrs. Christie with a photograph of his fellow soldiers with the banner. 

“Operation Shoebox is such a great cause, and the fact that Zach returned to New Jersey to deliver this banner from the soldiers in Afghanistan really demonstrates how much it means to our military personnel to know they are supported on the home front,” said Mrs. Christie. “We’re so proud of the courage Zach and his team members have displayed in serving our nation and we are thrilled that they have safely returned to their loves ones.”

Lance Corporal Sanders graduated from Somerville High School in 2010. He attended Boot Camp and graduated from Parris Island on November 11, 2010. After marine combat training and military police training, he spent five months at Camp Pendleton, California. He then volunteered to join a police advisor team that was attached to 2nd Battalion 4th Marines. On August 26, 2011, LCpl Sanders was sent to FOB Musa Qala in Helmand Province, Afghanistan to train and mentor the Afghan National Police as well as recruit local police from the surrounding areas. LCpl Sanders returned back to California on March 23, 2012 and will be joining the Law Enforcement Battalion on June 1, 2012.

“I joined the military because the older I got I began to realize all the freedoms we have in America and I knew we didn’t just get them by sitting around,” said LCpl Sanders. “I love my job. I loved working with the police in Afghanistan and teaching them some of our techniques and our knowledge of things. I was working with an outstanding team, PAT1 2nd Bat 4th Marines. There were 16 of us and I thank God everyone on the team made it back safe. It’s great to be back in America.” 

Since 2005, Operation Shoebox New Jersey has shipped more than 50,000 total packages to U.S. military members at posts in the Middle East, including Iraq, Kuwait, Afghanistan. The contents of all 50,000 boxes were generously donated by individuals and companies large and small in New Jersey. In December 2011, First Lady Mary Pat Christie named Rod Hirsh, founder of Operation Shoebox New Jersey as her ninth New Jersey Hero. 

At the time, Mrs. Christie joined Operation Shoebox volunteers in assembling care packages to be sent to military personnel in the Mideast. Several times a year, Shoebox volunteers ranging from veterans and church groups to corporations and school children give their time to sort donated supplies and then pack boxes to be shipped overseas. Items needed include lip balm, sun block, moist wipes, bars of soap, small bottles of shampoo, non-aerosol deodorant, powdered drink mixes, cereal/snacks, granola bars, individual packets of instant oatmeal, popcorn and hot chocolate, small cans of fruit with pop tops, gum, candy, athletic socks and batteries.

To learn more about Operation Shoebox New Jersey, visit www.opshoeboxnj.org.

New Jersey Heroes is an initiative of First Lady Mary Pat Christie that showcases the positive and unique ways people and organizations are impacting New Jersey and their communities. To nominate a hero, go to http://newjerseyheroes.org and follow the application instructions and submit the person you believe is a true New Jersey Hero.

Posted: May 15th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Mary Pat Chrisite, Operation Shoebox, Press Release | Tags: , , , , | Comments Off on Operation Shoebox Recipient Delivers New Jersey Heroes Banner to First Lady Mary Pat Christie

Oxley’s Nomination To Superior Court Announced By Christie

Photo credit: Scarcini, Hollenbeck

Governor Chris Christie nominated Monmouth County Republican Chairman Joe Oxley to the Superior Court this afternoon.

Oxley, who will complete his second term as Monmouth GOP Chair upon the election of his successor on June, 12, is a graduate of the University of Maryland and Delaware Law School.   He was elected Monmouth County Sheriff in 1995 after defeating William Lanzaro in the GOP primary and served as Sheriff until 2007.   He is a partner in the Scarinci Hollenbeck law firm and an adjunct professor at Monmouth University.

Oxley was elected Chairman by acclamation in June of 2008.  After narrowly losing control of the Monmouth County Freeholder Board in the Obama election of 08, Oxley brought stability and three straight victorious elections to a previously divided party.  He will leave his successor with a 5-0 Freeholder Board and an entirely Republican legislative delegation.

Oxley’s nomination has been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee for a confirmation hearing.

Former Senate President John Bennett and State Committeewoman Christine Hanlon are running to replace Oxley as Monmouth GOP Chair.

 

Posted: May 14th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Chris Christie, Joe Oxley, Monmouth County Republican Committee, Monmouth GOP, NJ Judiciary, NJ State Legislature | Tags: , , , , , , | 11 Comments »

Governor’s Press Conference

UPDATE:  The Governor’s press conference has been cancelled.

Governor Chris Christie will hold a press conference at 3PM this afternoon.

You can watch it live here:

Watch live streaming video from governorchrischristie at livestream.com

 

Posted: May 14th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Chris Christie | Tags: , , | Comments Off on Governor’s Press Conference

Homeschooling Threatened By Bill Being Rushed Through State Assembly

Legislation that would give the Division of Youth and Family Services broad powers to prevent families from homeschooling their children is being fast tracked through the State Assembly. 

The bill, A2881, was filed last Thursday and is scheduled for a hearing before the Assembly Women and Children Committee this morning.  The Committee Chair, Assemblywoman Pamela Lampitt is sponsor of the bill.

Scott Woodruff, Senior Counsel of the Home School Legal Defense Association, says the legislation goes too far.  He has asked that Lampitt postpone the hearing so that homeschool representatives can meet with her to discuss whether a narrow, more targeted bill can be drafted that would address legitimate needs without hampering parents homeschool program is not even in question.  Lampitt has not responded.

Woodruff says that the bill gives DYFS “blank check power to prohibit homeschooling for any reason or no reason at all.”

DYFS has a history of making poor decisions about children in their
care. They should not be given blank-check authority to make
educational decisions about home schooled children.

Consider these situations which have nothing to do with education but
which might lead to a child coming under DYFS supervision:

–a child gets in a fight at the local park, and a judge gives DYFS
supervision of the child;
–a baby gets sick and a judge decides the family waited too long to
go to the emergency room, and places all the family’s other kids under
DYFS supervision;  
–a family is remodelling and the house is so messy that a judge gives
DYFS suervision of the kids;
–a family with 6 biological children adopts a 10-year old orphan from
Russia who starts makes up bizarre stories about maltreatment, and a
judge gives DYFS supervision over all kids as a result.  

This bill is probably unnecessary. If a judge ever actually takes
jurisdiction of a child, which usually happens in serious cases, the
judge probably already has the power to make decisions about the
child’s education.

This bill may make people afraid to accept services from DYFS.

The bill provides no definition of “care, custody or supervision,” so
we don’t even know for sure what situations would cause a family to
come under DYFS’ power to prohibit homeschooling. Nor does the bill
define “homeschool.” This could allow a judge power to define
homeschooling in a way that threatens the freedom of families.

The bill gives the Department of Education power to create regulations
to carry out the bill’s provisions. Regulations are created by the
will of bureacrats, not by a democratic process. Because of this, they
can be hostile to the rights of individuals.

The bill’s language starts by saying “notwithstanding any provision of
law to the contrary, …” This means that all other state laws must
give way to this new billl. Every other right you have under state law
will be below this bill.

The members of the Assembly Women and Children Committee are:

Chair: Pamela R. Lampitt (D) District 6 Voorhees 856.435.1247 

Vice Chair: Angel Fuentes (D) District 5 

(856) 547-4800 (Audubon)
(856) 541-1251 (Camden)
(856) 853-2960 (Woodbury)

Caroline Casagrande (R) District 11- Freehold     732.866.1695 

Betty Lou DeCroce (R) District 26 – Whippany 973.884.6190

Gabriela Mosquera (D) District 4

856) 232-6700 (Turnersville)
(856) 401-3073 (Blackwood)

Gary S. Schaer (D) – District 36 – Passaic 973.249.3665

Benjie E. Wimberly (D) District 35 – Paterson 973.247.1521

Posted: May 14th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Legislature, NJ State Legislature | Tags: , | 4 Comments »