fbpx

Super Bowl 2014: Broncos RB Knowshon Moreno looking to join exclusive New Jersey club

Super Bowl 2014: Broncos RB Knowshon Moreno looking to join exclusive New Jersey club (via NJ.com)

MIDDLETOWN — The heavyweight college coaches rarely make it to the Jersey Shore, unless maybe it’s for a vacation. So when Urban Meyer, who was coaching at Florida at the time, Virginia Tech’s Frank Beamer and several other of the top college coaches…

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: January 27th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Middletown, Super Bowl | Tags: , , | Comments Off on Super Bowl 2014: Broncos RB Knowshon Moreno looking to join exclusive New Jersey club

FEMA Agrees to Levee Study that Could Ease Homeowners’ Flood Insurance Premiums

FREEHOLD, N.J. – Federal officials are taking steps which may help residents of the hard-hit neighborhood of North Middletown as they face potential flood insurance increases as a result of new flood maps expected to be unveiled this week.

 

U.S. Rep. Chris Smith (NJ-04) said that as a result of congressional inquiry and meetings with local officials from Middletown, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and other state and federal agencies, FEMA has agreed to implement a comprehensive study and evaluation of the East Keansburg Levee system which FEMA had previously “de-certified” for flood protection, resulting in proposed steep flood insurance hikes for homeowners.  If the study recognizes the levee system as flood protection that may prevent devastating flooding as it did during Superstorm Sandy and Hurricane Irene, it could lead to reduced risk assessment and lower insurance costs.

“Thousands of residents of North Middletown are looking at the very real possibility of their flood insurance premiums skyrocketing because FEMA no longer views some levee systems as adequate flood protection,” said Smith. “But as residents there know, for more than 40 years this neighborhood has been well served by a flood management system of levees, dunes, and pumps. This unique system has been effective since its installation in the 1970s. Even during Hurricane Irene and Superstorm Sandy, when much of the coast was badly flooded, the roughly 1,400 homes in North Middletown remained protected. To omit an evaluation of this levy system and a substantive analysis of any form of protection it might offer would be unfair to the residents.”

 

Smith sent a letter to FEMA Region II chief Jerome Hatfield on November 8 requesting the agency do a study, to which Hatfield replied that FEMA did not at the time have adequate funding.

 

“We are thankful that FEMA has now identified funding to undertake this important study, particularly after correspondence in which Administrator Hatfield stated that FEMA was looking to explore this option and work together with local stakeholders,” said Smith.  “We hope this new study will enable FEMA to determine the effectiveness of the East Keansburg Levee system and provide them with the most comprehensive and up-to-date information as they conclude analysis of the region’s flood maps.”

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: January 27th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Chris Smith, FEMA, Flood Maps, Flooding, Press Release, Superstorm Sandy | Tags: , , , , , , , | 1 Comment »

Freehold Businessman Announces U.S. Senate Run

Rich Pezzullo

Rich Pezzullo

Monmouth county businessman Rich Pezzullo will throw his hat into the US Senate race in New Jersey during an appearance at the Freehold Township Republican Club tonight , 7 PM, at the Szechuan Star Restaurant in Freehold New Jersey.

Pezzullo, 55, is a IT consultant serving small businesses. He served in the U.S. Army Reserves for 20 years, attaining the rank of Major, according to his campaign website.

In 1997, Pezzullo ran for Governor as the nominee of the New Jersey Conservative Party.

If Pezzullo wins the Republican nomination for U.S. Senate, he will attempt to unseat Senator Cory Booker in the November election.

Posted: January 27th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: 2014 U.S. Senate race | Tags: , , | 5 Comments »

Elf on the shelf?

Walsh won’t say if he’s running for freeholder

photo via facebook

Howell Councilman Bob Walsh. photo via facebook

It’s been almost two months since Howell Councilman Bob Walsh told us he would challenge Republican freeholder incumbents, Director Lillian Burry and Deputy Director Gary Rich, at the upcoming Monmouth Republican Nominating Convention.  In our early December interview, which Walsh claimed he thought was off the record after publication, he said he would be sending a letter to member of the Monmouth County Republican Committee shortly after the first of the year.

Now, at the end of January, there’s been no letter, and Walsh wouldn’t say if he’s running when we called him late last week.  “I’m busy at work and have a few things to take care of; go to the doctor for my annual check up.  Then I’ll decide,” Walsh said.

But Walsh was overheard at a Howell Republican Club meeting last week saying he was going to run and he was seen working the crowd at Sheriff’s Shaun Golden’s Winter Breakout fundraiser on Friday.

One Republican insider who requested not to be named said Walsh is running.  “He’s all in and its going to be a shit show,” the committee member said, ” he’s calling the municipal chairmen.”

Manalapan GOP Chairman Steve McEnery said he hasn’t heard from Walsh. “He hasn’t called me,” McEnery said, “so I really don’t know what he’s going to do, but I don’t think we need a convention fight for freeholder nominations.”

Another chairperson said Walsh is probably gauging his level of support before committing. “A lot of people rallied around Lillian and Gary as a result of your article in December,” the chair said, “they both (Burry and Rich) have issues, but nothing that disqualifies them. Why should we have a fight just because Bob Walsh wants to be a freeholder?”

Burry, who said Walsh “should wait his turn” in December, laughed when told that he in now equivocating.  “One day he’s running, the next day he’s not. You’ll have to ask him,” Burry said, “I’m running.  I already have more than enough signatures on my petitions and I’m still collecting.”

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: January 27th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Monmouth County, Monmouth County Board of Freeholders, Monmouth GOP | Tags: , , , , | 30 Comments »

Congressman Chris Smith To Hold Hearing on Human Trafficking and The Super Bowl This Afternoon

New Jersey, New York and federal officials, along with their private sector partners in the transportation and hospitality industries have been working to thwart human trafficking associated with the Super Bowl since the day it was announced the big game would be played in New Jersey this year.

Congressman Chris Smith, Chairman of the House committee that oversees global human rights, will hold a hearing this afternoon at 2PM to examine the measures that are being deployed this week before the game.

“As sports fans prepare for February’s Super Bowl, the prospect of human trafficking threatens to darken the festivities,” said Smith, author of the landmark Trafficking Victims Protection Act of 2000. “Fortunately, we have learned from past sporting events and have new best practices, such as training for the transportation and hospitality industries to help identify and rescue victims being trafficked in plain sight. This hearing will examine how we can transform this Super Bowl  —and other major sporting event worldwide— from potential trafficking-fests to trafficking-free zones.”

Representatives from the State Department, the Department of Homeland Security, AMTRAK, the airline industry and End Child Prostitution and Trafficking-USA are scheduled to testify.

The hearing will be live-streamed here.

Live streaming video by Ustream

Posted: January 27th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Chris Smith | Tags: , , | 1 Comment »

As Chris Christie faces scandal, NJ Republicans wait for guidance

As Chris Christie faces scandal, NJ Republicans wait for guidance (via NJ.com)

TRENTON — New Jersey’s Republican county chairmen will gather tonight in Princeton for a dinner meeting where they’ll hear from Gov. Chris Christie’s chief strategist, Mike DuHaime. They’ll have a lot to talk about. As Christie fights two…

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: January 27th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: NJ GOP | Tags: , , , | Comments Off on As Chris Christie faces scandal, NJ Republicans wait for guidance

Ice boating returns to the Navesink River

Ice boating returns to the Navesink River (via NewsWorks)

With arctic air continuing to surge into the region, ice boaters are seizing on the opportunity to cruise on the frozen Navesink River, a tradition dating back to the late 19th century.  After an ice inspection Sunday morning, the North Shrewsbury…

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: January 26th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Monmouth County, News | Tags: , , | Comments Off on Ice boating returns to the Navesink River

The Zimmer Fibber Timeline

By Matt Rooney, SaveJersey.com

Having trouble keeping track of the Bridgegate sideshow going on in Hoboken, Save Jerseyans?

Fear not; we’ve put together a streamlined timeline for you to consult/post/share and, once you’ve reviewed it from beginning to end, I don’t think you’ll conclude that the chronology is flattering for Hoboken’s Mayor:

___________

Zimmer Timeline 2

Winter 2010 to Fall 2012

Mayor Dawn Zimmer is only one year into her new job when she decides to endorse the Governor’s property tax cap. She’s backed other major initiatives since then.

October 2012

Hurricane Sandy strikes New Jersey and floods much of Hoboken.

November 2012

Over the next year and change, Zimmer repeatedly — both online and in the real world, too — praises Chris Christie for his Sandy aftermath assistance without qualification:

Read the rest of this entry>>

Posted: January 26th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Bridgegate, Christie Administration, Dawn Zimmer, Hoboken | Tags: , , , , , , | 5 Comments »

Warren Chamberlain Fills Keyport Council Seat

Warren Chamberlain, center, takes the oath of office as a Keyport Councilman.  Borough Clerk Valerie Valerie Heilweil, left, and Keyport GOP Chairman Bob Burlew, right.

Warren Chamberlain, center, takes the oath of office as a Keyport Councilman. Borough Clerk Valerie Valerie Heilweil, left, and Keyport GOP Chairman Bob Burlew, right.

Warren Chamberlain, 63, was sworn in as a councilman in Keyport on Friday.  He was selected by the Keyport Republican Committee on Thursday to fill the seat of Clemente Toglia, the reelected council member who died suddenly on December 31, the day before his new term was to start.

“I’m happy to be working with the rest of the council and the mayor, for the people of Keyport,” Chamberlain said, “but I’m very sad about the circumstances. Clemente will be greatly missed.  This council is a great group, Republicans and Democrats.  We will work together well.”

Chamberlain is starting his second stint on the Keyport council.  In 2011 he was selected to fill a vacancy on the board and then lost the election to complete the term he was appointed to to Kenneth McPeek to by 4 votes.  He will be serving with McPeek this year.

The new councilman was a Monmouth County Sheriff’s Officer from 1982 through 1996. He retired with a disability pension after suffering back injuries in an altercation with inmates in the jail. From 1986 through 1990, he was president of PBA Local 240.

In 1992, Chamberlain was the Democratic nominee for Monmouth County Sheriff, losing to incumbent Republican William Lanzaro by 2700 votes.

 

 

Posted: January 26th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Keyport | Tags: , , , | 2 Comments »

Robert Menendez says he’s fighting a smear campaign against ‘ridiculous’ allegations

Robert Menendez says he’s fighting a smear campaign against ‘ridiculous’ allegations (via NJ.com)

JERSEY CITY — Saying he was the target of a yearlong “false smear campaign,” U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez yesterday blasted a television news report that said he allegedly used his office to help campaign contributors. At events in his native Hudson…

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: January 25th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Bob Menendez | Tags: , , | Comments Off on Robert Menendez says he’s fighting a smear campaign against ‘ridiculous’ allegations