fbpx

Governor Chris Christie’s Appearance On The Daily Show

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
Get More: Daily Show Full Episodes,Political Humor & Satire Blog,The Daily Show on Facebook

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
Get More: Daily Show Full Episodes,Political Humor & Satire Blog,The Daily Show on Facebook

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
Get More: Daily Show Full Episodes,Political Humor & Satire Blog,The Daily Show on Facebook

Posted: December 7th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: 2013 Gubernatorial Politics, 2016 Presidential Politics, Chris Christie | Tags: , , | Comments Off on Governor Chris Christie’s Appearance On The Daily Show

Attorney General and Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control Announce Charges and Investigation of Popular College Bars

TRENTON –– Attorney General Jeffrey Chiesa and Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control Director Michael Halfacre today announced actions to crack down on two establishments near Rutgers University and Seton Hall University accused of serving underage drinkers.

The ABC has notified Scarlet Pub in New Brunswick that it is seeking to revoke its license in connection with a July 2011 raid that resulted in the arrest of 26 people. Charges are also pending against Cryan’s Beef and Ale House in South Orange following the arrest of six underage patrons and two staff members during a sweep by the ABC in October.

“Underage drinking is a public safety issue, and it is vital that we send a clear message to license holders and those who are underage that it will not be tolerated,” Attorney General Chiesa said. “It’s important to protect the young people of New Jersey with enforcement actions like these, which deter licensees from selling to those under 21.”

In July of 2011, ABC investigators arrested 26 people, including two Scarlet Pub bartenders and a bouncer. Twenty-two patrons were charged with underage drinking, including four who were also charged with presenting a fake identification card. One additional patron was charged strictly with presenting a fake identification. Another arrested patron was also charged with possession of a small amount of marijuana. Those arrested ranged in age from 17 to 20. Scarlet Pub is located near the Rutgers University campus. The arrests were made after ABC investigators received a tip that the bar was crowded with underage drinkers.

On October 21, the Division informed the owners of the Scarlet Pub, NSAS Inc., of its intention to revoke its license. Four days later, ABC investigators visited the pub again and arrested an underage patron along with two bartenders, including Thomas Holman, 28, of Somerset, who had been issued a summons for serving alcohol to an underage person in the first incident.

“Licensees face serious consequences when they choose to serve alcohol to underage drinkers,” said Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control Director Michael Halfacre. “The most serious punishment the ABC can level is revocation, and we reserve that consequence for the most extreme violators.”

An anonymous tip also led to the arrests at Cryan’s Beef and Ale House, located less than a mile from Seton Hall University. ABC investigators were observing Cryan’s on October 18 when Ryan Buckman, 20, of Lima, N.Y., and an 18-year-old Toms River woman walked out of the establishment visibly intoxicated. According to investigators, both struggled to maintain their balance, and at one point, the woman stumbled into the path of an oncoming vehicle in a nearby street. Investigators approached both and later determined neither was 21. During questioning, the teenager lost consciousness and was later transported by ambulance from Cryan’s to a local hospital.

In addition to Buckman, ABC detectives arrested five other underage patrons during their investigation: Kelsey Marie Nichols, 20, of Morristown; Danielle Dericks, 19, of Pompton Plains; Sarah Marelli, 20, of Hazlet; Christina Caporrino, 20, of Hazlet; and Michael Gabriel, 20, of Springfield. ABC investigators later questioned two Cryan’s staff members, bartender Jeffry Varela and busboy Alexander Ledesma, both of South Orange. Ledesma, 20, was drinking during his shift and admitted to investigators that Varela had been serving him. Ledesma was arrested and Varela was issued a summons for serving alcohol to an underage person.

A review of the surveillance video of the bar, provided by Cryan’s management that night, revealed that a table had been set up just inside the entrance of the licensed premises to collect money for an open bar promotion. Cryan’s management admitted that it allowed a sorority to collect $20 per person for the two-hour event. All-You-Can-Drink promotions are not permitted under ABC law.  

 Director Halfacre said administrative charges will be filed against Cryan’s license holder, 24 First Street Inc., after the ABC investigation is concluded.  

Posted: December 6th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: ABC, Christie Administration, Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control, Mike Halfacre, Press Release | Tags: , , , , , | 2 Comments »

The National Republican civil war has begun – and the GOP Establishment’s first shot has misfired

By Alan Steinberg

Prior to the election, I predicted on various media appearances that if Mitt Romney lost the presidential race, a national Republican civil war would ensue after the election between 1) the GOP establishment and 2) movement conservatives and grassroots Republicans.  I have been surprised how quickly my prediction was proven accurate.

The first major media riposte by the GOP establishment was a column published in the New York Times on December 3, 2012, entitled “Where  Have You Gone, Bill Buckley?” by David Welch, a former research director for the Republican National Committee .  It’s a good thing that Mr. Welch is a former research director, for in describing Bill Buckley, he demonstrated gross incompetence in historical research skills.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: December 6th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Republican Party | Tags: , , , , | 1 Comment »

Christie Vetos ObamaCare Exchange

Governor Christie Continues Prudent Approach to Federal Health Care Implementation with Veto of State-Run Exchange Legislation

Veto Avoids Saddling State Taxpayers with Huge, Open-Ended Exchange Costs Without Comparative Details of Alternatives from the Federal Government

Trenton, NJ – Continuing a careful and thoughtful approach that appropriately considers the best interests of the state’s residents and taxpayers, Governor Chris Christie today vetoed legislation that would have begun to establish a State-based health care exchange in New Jersey in line with the federal Affordable Care Act. Though December 14, 2012 is the deadline for states to decide whether to establish a State-based Exchange, the federal government has failed to provide critical information and to answer basic questions about the operation and implementation of each of the options provided, making any decision made now hasty, incomplete, and perhaps fiscally detrimental to the taxpayers of New Jersey. 

 

Governor Christie has consistently stated that once legal issues surrounding the Affordable Care Act were settled, New Jersey would comply with the federal mandate, but only in the most responsible way among the available alternatives. The creation of health care exchanges is provided for in the Affordable Care Act as the vehicle for eligible individuals and businesses to access care, with three exchange options being given to states: Federally Facilitated, Partnership, or State-based. Though the federal government’s deadline for states to select the type of exchange they will participate in is nearly here, New Jersey and all other states still await substantial federal guidance on all three options.

 

“We will comply with the Affordable Care Act, but only in the most efficient and cost effective way for New Jersey taxpayers. Such an important decision as how to best move forward for New Jerseyans can only be understood and reasonably made when fairly and fully compared to the overall value of the other options. Until the federal government gives us all the necessary information, any other action than this would be fiscally irresponsible,” said Governor Christie. “Thus far, we lack such critical information from the federal government. I will not ask New Jerseyans to commit today to a State-based Exchange when the federal government cannot tell us what it will cost, how that cost compares to other options, and how much control they will give the states over this option that comes at the cost of our state’s taxpayers.”

 

Governor Christie has previously and continually cited the importance – both from a fiscal and health care policy perspective – of having additional clarity and guidance from the federal government on a host of critical issues related to implementation of the Affordable Care Act at the state level. Absent this critical information about cost, cost-sharing, scope of control, and the federal rulemaking landscape, New Jersey cannot fairly evaluate the best or most fiscally prudent path to follow for its residents.

 

“Financing the building and implementation of a State-based Exchange would be an extraordinarily costly endeavor,” continued Governor Christie. “While the federal governmental has enabled states to apply for grant funding to cover some of the initial costs of such an endeavor, the total price for such a program has never been quantified, and is likely to be onerous. Without knowing the full scope of which Exchange option would be most beneficial and cost efficient for New Jerseyans, it would be irresponsible to force such a bill on our citizens.”

  Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: December 6th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Chris Christie, Health Care, ObamaCare, Press Release | Tags: , , , , | Comments Off on Christie Vetos ObamaCare Exchange

Monmouth United: Bennett and Gopal To Throw A Stone Pony Fundraiser for Sandy Recovery

Democrats, Republicans, New Leaders Council Unite for Sandy Relief

Bi-Partisan Event & Concert to Bridge Divide, Raise Money, Collect Clothing, Food & Supplies

On Sunday, December 30, the New Leaders Council – New Jersey will partner with the Monmouth County Republicans, Monmouth County Democrats, New Jersey Young Republicans and New Jersey Young Democrats sponsoring a bi-partisan Hurricane Sandy relief concert at the Stone Pony from 1 – 7 PM.

“Keeping with the goals of the New Leaders Council, we wanted to bridge the political divide by bringing people together to help make a difference for those in need,” said Justin Braz, President of the New Leaders Council – New Jersey.

NJ 101.5 has agreed to help with promoting the event and Kevin McArdle will serve as emcee for the event. The event will feature multiple bands with a speaking program in between each set featuring elected officials and dignitaries. Confirmed bands for the event will include the B Street band, The Pat Roddy Band, Joe Orlando and the Cryers, Vinny Pastore and the Crazy Horse Band and Back Up Jackson.

“This is an excellent opportunity for putting aside partisan differences to help our friends and neighbors begin putting their lives back together,” said John Bennett, Chairman of the Monmouth County Republicans.

“We look forward to working with Chairman Bennett and Monmouth County Republicans to assist all of our neighbors across Monmouth County who were affected by this horrible storm. Monmouth Democrats and Republicans share the hope and determination to rebuild and restore our great County and State,” said Vin Gopal, Chairman of the Monmouth County Democrats.

Attendees can also bring Food and Cleaning Supplies for donation to the Monmouth Ocean County Food Bank.

“This is a great chance for our organizations to combine efforts for a worthy cause that will benefit our community,” said Tony Howley, Chairman of the New Jersey Young Republicans.

All proceeds raised at the event will be donated to the Hurricane Sandy New Jersey Relief Fund.

“We are proud to be a part of this effort raising awareness and funds to rebuild the Jersey shore and surrounding communities,” said Chris James, President of the New Jersey Young Democrats.

Posted: December 6th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: John Bennett, Monmouth Democrats, Monmouth GOP, Press Release, Vin Gopal | Tags: , , , , , , | 2 Comments »

State Senators Want To Prohibit Beach Badges

Senator Mike Doherty wants the Jersey Shore rebuilt with high-rise condos

State Senator Michael Doherty (R-Warren) would go a lot further than eliminating beach badges from the Jersey Shore if he had his way.  Doherty says that the pre-Sandy Shore was a failed economic model reminiscent  of the 1950’s Catskill Mountain bungalow communities and that our coast should be rebuilt in the image of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina,  Ocean City, Maryland and Destin, Florida with high-rise condos with pools, free beaches and high end merchants.

Photo Credit: Myrtle Beach Area Convention and Visitors Buerau. Click for larger view.

Doherty has proposed legislation that would prohibit coastal communities that accept state or federal funds to rebuild from selling beach badges or otherwise charging the public for access to the shore.  The bill would also require municipalities to provide free restroom facilities from Memorial Day through Labor Day annually.

Senate President Steve Sweeney (D-Gloucester) has signed on as a prime co-sponsor of the bill.  That means it is not likely to be buried in committee never to see that light of day.

“It is likely that state and federal taxpayers will provide hundreds of millions of dollars to repair and replenish New Jersey beaches that were washed away during Hurricane Sandy,” said Doherty. “Considering the massive public resources that will be directed at rebuilding many New Jersey beaches, it only seems fair to ensure that everyone have the opportunity to enjoy free access to the beaches they will support and help rebuild with their tax dollars.”

Sweeney said, “Where taxpayers are paying for beach restoration, they shouldn’t be taxed a second time just to walk on the sand. As New Jerseyans, we are all in the recovery and rebuilding process together. That means we should all be able to enjoy the reopening of our state’s greatest natural resource together, too.”

MMM called Doherty and Sweeney to ask how beach maintenance, life guards and police would be paid for under their plan.  Sweeney hasn’t gotten back to us, but Doherty gave us an earful.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: December 6th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Beach Access, Belmar, Economy, Hurricane Sandy, Jersey Shore, Matt Doherty, Mike Doherty, NJ State Legislature, Stephen Sweeney | Tags: , , , , , , , | 3 Comments »

Christie to appear on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart tonight

Governor Chris Christie will be in Washington, DC today for a series of meetings related to Hurricane Sandy recovery.  This evening he will be in Manhattan to tape The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

Christie was last on topic of Stewart’s commentary on October 31.

Posted: December 6th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Chris Christie, Hurricane Sandy, Jon Stewart, The Daily Show | Tags: , , , | 1 Comment »

Guadagno running with Christie in 2013

Lt. Governor Kim Guadagno will be Governor Chris Chrisitie’s running mate in 2013. 

In a statement released by Christie’s campaign, the Governor said,

“After being able to sit down and speak with Kim, I am thrilled that she is going to be part of the team as we seek to serve the people of New Jersey for another four years. She has made the role of Lt. Governor a unique and invaluable one as the State’s number one economic development advocate on behalf of our people, our homegrown talent and our resources. She is a trusted adviser and friend who I’m glad to have as my partner in both reelection and public service.”

When Christie announced that he would seek reelection last week in Port Monmouth, he said that he and Guadagno had not discussed her status on the ticket for another term.

 

Posted: December 4th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: 2013 Gubernatorial Politics, Chris Christie, Kim Guadagno | Tags: , | 1 Comment »

Atlantic City’s winning formula

Is anyone surprised that New Jersey’s efforts to revitalize Atlantic City are failing?

The news that AC’s latest hope for revival, Revel, is on the verge of bankruptcy and foreclosure is no shock.   As Trump’s multiple bankruptcies over the years demonstrated, casino lenders are the biggest losers, next to bussed in seniors lured by a free roll of quarters, in AC.

Vice has always been the key to Atlantic City’s economic viability.  For good reason.  The place is a dump.  You have to drive through a swamp to get there.   It is very inconvenient.  The lure of doing something enjoyable that is forbidden elsewhere has been the key to Atlantic City’s economy since the days of Nucky Thompson.

Now that legalized gambling is available in more convenient places and liquor is legal most everywhere, Atlantic City is doomed, unless it comes up with a new vice to make available.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: December 4th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Atlantic City, Casinos, Chris Christie, Economy, Horse Racing Industry, Meadowlands, Medical Marijuana, Racinos | Tags: , , , , | 5 Comments »

Monmouth County Update

Monmouth County Freeholder Deputy Director Thomas A. Arnone

By Thomas A. Arnone

One month post Super storm Sandy and County employees continue with due diligence in piecing Monmouth County back together. The Office of Shared Services has been in contact with both Union Beach and Belmar, two of the hardest hit coastal communities in the County to offer our support and assistance as their main focus right now is rebuilding and recovery. We will continue to partner with them as they rebuild and aid them by providing services that result in a significant cost reduction to the municipality.

            The Department of Economic Development has been working closely with FEMA Small Business Administration and the U.S. Department of Commerce to ensure that we remain knowledgeable and aware of the various programs and services available to businesses that were impacted by Super storm Sandy. Recently, a Business Rebuilding Conference Call was held for county businesses. I hosted the call and included staff from the departments of Economic Development, Planning and the Tax Board. Each participant discussed how their department could help those businesses who were adversely impacted by the storm.  Representatives from The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Small Business Association (SBA) were also on the call to discuss direct grant and loan assistance. Additionally, a roundtable will take place on Monday, December 3rd in order to give county businesses and municipal leaders the opportunity to inform the U. S. Department of Commerce about the specific economic impact of the storm.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: December 3rd, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Monmouth County, Tom Arnone | Tags: , , , | 1 Comment »