Monmouth Democratic Freeholder Candidates Running to the Right of Republicans

Bill Shea, the young retired State Trooper with a disability pension who is challenging Freeholder Director John Curley for a seat on the Monmouth County Board of Freeholders, called for a 20% across the board reduction in county government spending yesterday.  Shea’s running mate, former Hazlet Mayor Kevin Lavan, said Shea’s proposal “is not out of the realm of possibility” and would depend on the results of a county audit.

Shea and Lavan were speaking yesterday to the Asbury Park Press Editorial Board where they appeared along side Curley and Freeholder Serena DiMaso.  DiMaso and Lavan are competing to complete the unexpired term of Assemblyman Rob Clifton who resigned in January upon taking office in Trenton.  DiMaso was elected by the GOP County Committee to serve in the seat until the general election results are certified.

Curley and DiMaso said such cuts would be impossible to achieve, according to APP.  They said such cuts would annihilate small county departments and cripple to county’s efforts to reduce municipal spending with shared services.


Posted: September 27th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Asbury Park Press, Monmouth County, Monmouth County Board of Freeholders, Monmouth Democrats, Monmouth GOP | Tags: , , , , | 5 Comments »

5 Comments on “Monmouth Democratic Freeholder Candidates Running to the Right of Republicans”

  1. It's An Interesting Move By Shea said at 1:10 pm on September 27th, 2012:

    But 20% is not grounded in reality.

    I suspect it was intended more as a sound bite, because crashing county government with a 20% across the board cut just isn’t going to happen. The one or two Democrats (if they won) n would not have the votes anyway

  2. CWA said at 1:19 pm on September 27th, 2012:

    I’m sure they’d be ready to cut 20% as long as the other 80% go to their union sponsors.

  3. truth hurts said at 5:41 pm on September 27th, 2012:

    Can anyone confirn Shea is on disability and collecting a taxpayer funded pension or is this rumor ? How much and why disabled so young ? Is this double dipping if he gets freeholder salary ? Its legal obviously ? I know Dave Rible is disabled for life also. Anyone check datauniverse.com to confirm ?

  4. Proud Republican said at 10:07 pm on September 27th, 2012:

    Right on truth hurts. This guy Shea, in his early 30s and strong as an ox is retired on a lifetime disability? Guarantee the union went to bat for that scam. Now he wants to get into office so he can rig the system even more for his union buddies. As Gov. Kean might say “Democrats and unions – perfect together.”

  5. CWA said at 10:49 pm on September 27th, 2012:

    According to DataUniverse, Bill Shea collects a $63,673 annual pension. Dave Rible collects only $55,034.