fbpx

Guadagno Denies Zimmer’s Allegations

This morning in Union Beach, Lt. Governor Kim Guadagno strongly denied Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer’s allegations that Sandy relief funds for the city were contingent upon the approval of a proposed Rockefeller Group development.  Zimmer made her allegations Saturday morning on MSNBC’s Up with Steve Kornacki.

Speaking at the Union Beach Firehouse on Poole Ave, at an event commemorating Martin Luther King Jr Day, Guadagno prefaced her remarks by saying she would not be taking  questions at the end of her statement. “As you know, there are ongoing investigations. I’m sure all the fact will come out at the appropriate time.”

 

Guadagno said:

“Mayor Zimmer’s version of our conversation in May or 2013 is not only false, but is illogical and does not withstand scrutiny when all of the facts are examined.  Any suggestion that Sandy funds were tied to the approval of any project in New Jersey is completely false.

Standing in Union Beach, as we are today, with some of the mayors whose towns were devastated by Sandy, and also, being a Sandy victim myself, makes the mayor’s allegations particularly offensive to me.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: January 20th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Chris Christie, Dawn Zimmer, Hoboken, Union Beach | Tags: , , , , | 7 Comments »

Chris Christie huddles with top GOP donors in Florida

Chris Christie huddles with top GOP donors in Florida (via NJ.com)

NORTH PALM BEACH, Fla. — Gov. Chris Christie spent the afternoon with an elite group of Republican donors at the seaside home of Home Depot co-founder Kenneth Langone. Two black SUVs entered the lush golfing community called Lost Tree Village, where…

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: January 19th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: 2016 Presidential Politics, Chris Christie | Tags: , , , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Chris Christie huddles with top GOP donors in Florida

Hoboken mayor discussed Chris Christie, Sandy aid allegations with U.S. Attorney, she says

Hoboken mayor discussed Chris Christie, Sandy aid allegations with U.S. Attorney, she says (via NJ.com)

NEWARK — Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer said she met with federal prosecutors today, a day after she alleged members of Gov. Chris Christie’s administration threatened to withhold Hurricane Sandy aid from her city if she did not approve a real estate…

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: January 19th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Chris Christie, Dawn Zimmer, Hoboken, Port Authority | Tags: , , , , , , , | 3 Comments »

Hornik making the rounds, “not actively running for governor”

Jon Hornik2Just as we predicted at the start of the year, Marlboro Mayor Jonathan Hornik has started his tour of Democratic clubs and committees around the state, not running for governor.

The Star Ledger’s Auditor reports that Hornik spoke to the Warren County Democratic Committee last week, has met with several Democratic County Chairs and plans many other such meetings, not running for governor.

Posted: January 19th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: 2017 NJ Gubernatorial Politics, Jon Hornik, Marlboro, Monmouth Democrats, NJ Democrats | Tags: , , | 5 Comments »

Monmouth Mayors Cast Doubt On Zimmer’s Quid Pro Quo Claims

Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer on MSNBC's Up with Steve Kornacki, January 18, 2014

Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer on MSNBC’s Up with Steve Kornacki, January 18, 2014

Monmouth County mayors and other municipal officials are reacting to Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer’s allegations that her city is not receiving Sandy Relief funds because she hasn’t pushed through a redevelopment approval coveted by Governor Chris Christie with a high degree of skepticism, because their storm ravaged communities have yet to see significant money yet either.

One elected official who asked not to be quoted said, “If Hoboken had approved that Rockefeller project, Zimmer would still be standing on her head at a Hoboken street corner looking for her Sandy money. The money hasn’t started to flow yet.”

“Is it believable that Guadagno (Lt. Governor Kim Guadango) or Constable (DCA Commissioner Richard Constable) encouraged Zimmer to expedite an project? Yes.  As a quid pro quo for Sandy dollars? No way,” another official said.

Zimmer alleged on MSNBC’s Up with Steve Kornacki this morning that Guadagno pulled her aside at a Hoboken ribbon cutting and warned that Sandy Relief money to Hoboken was contingent on a development application by the Rockefeller Group being approved by the city. Zimmer said that Constable told her at a Monmouth University symposium on Sandy recovery that relief dollars would flow if the Rockefeller application was approved.

After talking to local and state officials today, MMM understands that the federal money for Sandy Relief is flowing dripping through four sources; FEMA, the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs (DCA) which administers relief for homeowners, the New Jersey Economic Development Agency(EDA) and County Governments which are administering Hazard Mitigation Grants.  The Hazard Mitigation Grants are funded by FEMA and distributed to the counties by the State Office of Emergency Management.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: January 18th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Chris Christie, Dawn Zimmer, EDA, FEMA, Hoboken | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , | 19 Comments »

Hoboken Mayor Charges That Christie Administration Held Sandy Relief Hostage

Lt. Governor Kim Guadagno and DCA Commissioner Richard Constable fingered by Zimmer

Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer told MSNBC’s Steve Kornacki this morning that Lt. Governor Kim Guadagno and Department of Community Affairs Commissioner Richard Constable threatened to deprive Hoboken of Sandy Relief funds if she did not secure a development approval for for a project favored by Governor Chris Christie.

The Rockefeller Group project hasn’t been approved and Hoboken has only gotten a small fraction of the Sandy Relief it requested. Port Authority Chairman David Samson’s law firm, Wolf and Samson, represents the Rockefeller Group.

Zimmer requested $127 million in aide for Hoboken, 80% of which was underwater after the Superstorm hit in October of 2012.  The city has received $142,000 for a back up generator and $200,000 in recovery grants.

On Karnack’s show, UP with Steve Kornacki, Zimmer said she should have come forth sooner.


The governor’s office has denied the claims. Spokesperson Michael Drewniak issued the following statement to MSNBC:

“Mayor Zimmer has been effusive in her public praise of the Governor’s Office and the assistance we’ve provided in terms of economic development and Sandy aid,” Christie spokesman Michael Drewniak wrote in a statement. “What or who is driving her only now to say such outlandishly false things is anyone’s guess.”

A Hudson County Jury apparently did not believe Zimmer’s testimony last month when they awarded Hoboken’s former public safety director $440,000 in a  discrimination suit . The jury held the City, not Zimmer, accountable for the discrimination.

Zimmer showed Korancki documents and her diaries to back up the explosive claims she made this morning. She said she would be willing to testify under oath.

Posted: January 18th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Chris Christie, Dawn Zimmer, Hoboken | Tags: , , , , , , , , | 13 Comments »

Naked Man Pulled From Manalapan Pipe

Asaf Mohammad, 26, of Manalapan was rescued from inside a 24 inch pipe at the United Water facility within the township today. He was naked, according to a report on Manalapan Patch

A United Water employee heard faint cries for help this morning at 7:05.  With the help other employes the screams were located within the pipe and first responders were called.

Patch reports that Mohammad was pulled from the pipe at around 11 am and taken to Robert Wood Johnson Hospital in New Brunswick via medical helicopter.

The Asbury Park Press reports that Mohammad was arrested and charged with fourth degree trespassing.

Posted: January 17th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Manalapan | Tags: , , , | 2 Comments »

Doherty Will Not Challenge Booker

Mike DohertyState Senator Mike Doherty, considered the most conservative member of the NJ Senate, will not attempt to block U.S. Senator Cory Booker from being elected to his own six year term.

A source close to Doherty told MMM that the senator is focused on his appointment to the State Senate Committee investigating the Christie Administration’s involvement in the George Washington Bridge lane closure scandal that has become know as Bridgegate. Doherty was one of three Republicans appointed to the seven member committee by Senate President Sweeney yesterday.  Senators Kevin O’Toole (Essex and Passaic) and Gerald Cardinale (Bergen) are the other Republicans on the investigating committee.  The Democrats are Senators Loretta Weinberg (Bergen), the Chair, Nicholas Scutari(Hudson) Nia Gill (Essex) and Linda Greenstein (Mercer and Middlesex).

“Mike would not have accepted that appointment if he were going to run for U.S. Senate,” this source said, “The party is in disarray and the investigation will be time consuming.”

Steve Lonegan,  Booker’s opponent in the Special Election for U.S. Senate last October,  told The Star Ledger that Doherty should run.   Lonegan has announced his candidacy to the House of Representatives seat being vacated by Congressman Jon Runyan in New Jersey’s 3rd Congressional District.

Assembly Minority Leader Jon Bramnick announced this morning that he would not be challenging Booker.

West Orange businessman Brian Goldberg, a political newcomer, is the only announced Republican candidate to U.S. Senate to date.

 

Posted: January 17th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: 2014 U.S. Senate race | Tags: , , , | 6 Comments »

Bramnick Won’t Run For Senate

By Matt Rooney, SaveJersey.com

Asm. Jon Bramnick has shocked the N.J. political world by declining to run for U.S. Senate in 2014, Save Jerseyans, leaving the field wide open…

His statement:

“After thoroughly considering the opportunity to run for United States Senate in 2014, I have decided to remain focused on my role as Assembly Republican Leader. I appreciate the support and enthusiasm offered to me by countless party leaders, elected officials, and devoted volunteers across New Jersey. I look forward to continuing to work with Governor Christie and the dedicated members of the Assembly Republican caucus to advocate for the hardworking taxpayers of our state. “

Read the rest of this entry>>

Posted: January 17th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: 2014 Congressional Races, 2014 U.S. Senate race, Cory Booker, Jon Bramnick | Tags: , , , , , | 9 Comments »

Wildstein willing to talk about N.J. bridge scandal for immunity

Wildstein willing to talk about N.J. bridge scandal for immunity (via NewsWorks)

A former appointee of Gov. Chris Christie who directed lane closures that caused massive traffic tie-ups in northern New Jersey is reiterating that he is ready to talk with lawmakers if he can be granted immunity from prosecution. But lawyer Alan Zegas…

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: January 17th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Chris Christie, Port Authority | Tags: , , | 2 Comments »