Michael A. Katz, a 45 year old live long resident of Middletown, has thrown his hat into the ring for the Democratic nomination for Middletown Township Committee.
The Middletown Democrats only submitted one candidate for the two seats up this year. The candidate who gets the most write-in votes in the primary tomorrow will likely join William E. Hutton on the Democratic slate against Republicans Deputy Mayor Stephanie Murray and Committeeman Tony Fiore.
Katz launched his campaign last week after MMM reported the vacancy and suggested that Democrats write-in Michael Morris. Katz said he thinks he has as many as 50 write-in votes so far. 26 is the minimum required to get on the general election ballot. If no candidate gets 26 write-in votes, only Hutton will appear on the ballot for the Democrats in November.
“The reason I would like to be on the Town Council is because I don’t want to make decisions because I know what’s good for you, but rather advocate your needs and concerns,” Katz said in a statement issued exclusively to MMM.
“I’d like to keep Middletown a town and not turn it into a big city. We need to keep Middletown’s attraction by its landscape, not by how many stores and restaurants and movie theaters there are.
“Please vote for me so I can help bring change in favor of Middletown residents. And maybe I can help stop this plan to build a giant Town Hall that will cost Middletown taxpayers a lot of money just so your incumbent Town Council can have a better office too hang in. Me personally I don’t need a fancy office to get things done.”
HOW TO CAST A WRITE-IN VOTE
1) Go to the Personal Choice column, on the right side of the ballot and Press the square in the “Write-In” box located at the end of the TOWNSHIP COMMITTEE row that has “No Nomination Made”
2) A blinking ˜X” will appear next to the write-in square. Use the keyboard to type the full name of the candidate you want to vote for, one letter at a time. Type in “Michael A. Katz”
To make a space between the first and last name: Use the arrow pointing to the right on the keyboard.
To make a correction: Use the arrow pointing to the left
The name, “Michael A. Katz” will appear in the display to the left of the keyboard.
3) When you have entered the whole name, press the GREEN ENTER BUTTON on the keyboard and your selection will be recorded.
4) DO NOT press the “CAST VOTE” until your choices are complete.
5) When you are finished voting for all candidates, press the RED “CAST VOTE” button.
6)These instructions are printed on your sample ballot, also. If you are still having problems, feel free to ask the poll workers at your voting location.