Treating a Bruise at Home
- Reduce Bruising and Swelling
- Ice the area on and off for the first 24-48 hours.
- Apply ice for about 15 minutes at a time, and always put something like a towel or wash cloth between the ice and your skin.
- Rest the affected area.
- If possible, elevate the affected area.
- Treat Symptoms
- For pain, take acetaminophen(Tylenol), or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), or naproxen (Alleve). (DISCLAIMER: Do not take anything these if you are unsure if you are allergic, call doctor first.)
- When to Call a Doctor
- If bruiseis accompanied by extreme pain, swelling or redness
- If the person is taking a blood-thinning medication
- If bruisesappear on skin for no apparent reason
- The bruise in on the face or head
- You can’t move a joint
- You may have a broken bone
- Follow Up
- Two days after a bruise develops, apply a heat pack or wash cloth soaked in warm water to the area several times a day to promote healing.
- Pain and tenderness should get better within a few days and the bruise should go away within a couple of weeks
Posted: January 25th, 2016 | Author: admin | Filed under: Monmouth County News | Tags: Monmouth County News, slip and fall, Treating a bruise at home, Winter Storm Jonas, winter weather | Comments Off on In case you slip and fall..